Image Map

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Shopping bag tutorial

Few weeks ago I have mentioned on Pretty Elements facebook page that I have sewed a shopping bag for a good cause :) The cause is a cat shelter in my area: Spanish Stray cats. They are organising a small stall and all the money they make will help the gorgeous cats and kittens that are currently staying in their premises.

I have completed my bag (but I have other ideas in mind for this project) and will share with you the tutorial: it's very easy and you can have a personalised shopping bag :)



::STEP 1::
Cut the fabric of your choice {make sure to add 1-2 inches at the original size you want you bag to be} - I've cut mine 45 x 55 cm.


::STEP 2::
I wanted to add a lining with a different fabric - if you want to add a lining too, measures are the same.

::STEP 3::
Sew the edges of both fabric like two sacks: both have to be sewed inside out (only the red and white sack will  be turned out).

::STEP 4::
Since we ladies always carry loads of stuff with us, it would be good to make a pocket ;)

Cut a piece of fabric in hexagonal shape and pin the edges:




::Step 5::
Sew it on the external fabric:


I have also sewed a string of the fabric I used as lining :)

::STEP 6::
Now, you can sew the two sacks together:


::STEP 7::
Handle time!
I've made a medium handle since my bag is quite big ;)

Pin it on each side of the bag:


and sew it:

and you are done:



I sincerely hope that Spanish Stray cats manages to sell my bag: it would make me very happy! If you want to make a donation do not hesitate to visit their facebook page :)

Until next time,
Daniela

14 comments:

  1. Great idea! Thanks for sharing on The DIY'ers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bag, Daniela! And I appreciate the cause you sewn it for!
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I will also document other stuff I'll made for this cause :)

      Delete
  3. I love these!!! I've been making big, squared totes out of burlap....and they could be used for shopping bags also....www.threedawgladydesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I visited your blog and checked your totes: they are very cute ;) Have a nice day, Daniela

      Delete
  4. Cute bag and lovely tutorial Daniela!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bag & tutorial!! TFS!! Stopping by from Lovely Ladies linky party. Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2013/08/nautical-tote-bag.html Stop by when you have a moment. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will visit you straight away :) Have a nice day, Daniela

      Delete

Please leave your comment or feedback, they make me smile and I will be more than happy to answer :)